Tuesday 6 October 2009

Mission of Burma - That's when I reach for my Revolver



A strong contender for greatest song title of all time. A reference to a quote loosely attributed to Herman Goring, which goes something like "Wenn ich Kultur höre ... entsichere ich meinen Browning!". This translates as: "Whenever I hear [the word] 'culture'... I remove the safety from my Browning!". Though "That's when I remove the Safety from my Browning!" is a little bit wordy it's still pretty good.
Suitably enough there's a real air of menace to this song, underscored by the rapidly shifting time signatures. I was recently surprised that Mission of Burma where originally Bostonian, as I had always assumed them to be a British post-punk band of the very early eighties. The music is not massively similar to what was going on in Britain at the time, but there's an air of disaffection and rejection about their music which is very present in a lot of british music of the time.
The Early eighties where clearly a bloody miserable time for those on either side of the atlantic who considered themselves of an artistic alternative bent.
A much overlooked bit of Domestic British history it seems to me is 1980-82. Doesn't fit into the popular narratives about the seventies of the eighties. But you've got mass unemployment, race riots, a very unpopular government and the still ever present threat of nuclear holocaust. Popular history gives you a wee bit about the Falklands and that's it. Domestically it seems a bloody awful time in Britain. Likely why it's been glossed over.

No comments: