Wednesday 14 October 2009

The Raveonettes - Bang!



The Raveonettes obviously sound like a Phil Specktor girl group with a dash of Jesus and Mary Chain mixed in. Every review I've ever seen of their stuff says this, because you can't get away from it. Wearing your influences so blatantly isn't, of itself, a bad thing though and this is a poppin' wee number.
What I'm really interested in though, is the fact they sound very much like their singing "Kids wanna fuck out in the street". Now apparently the actually lyric is "bop out in the street", but as I've heard Britney Spears records I know what's going here. In fact it handily gets to the heart of my problem with Raveonettes. While I generally react positively to the music, I can't help but be a little irked at how hard they try to be dangerous. You might call it Primal Scream Syndrome. The fact they go on about it all the time, does rather lessen the effect and become a bit tedious. Also do kids really want to fuck out in the street? I can, just about, remember being a kid and i don't recall that being to appealing. Too many dirty old men leering away in the cold cold rain would rather spoil the fun I suspect.

No comments: