Wednesday 11 November 2009

The Arlenes - Lonely Won't Leave Me Alone



For the longest time this was my favourite song. I'm a little happier now and appreciate joy a little more but it's still in the top three. The lyrics are so sad and full of regret without being mawkish. The main vocal is clear as spring water, and beautifully balanced by the gruff male counterpoint in the chorus. There's a lovely wee guitar solo towards the end the exact opposite of any egowank of a note fest, just a couple of notes put together in a simple way that fits the song perfectly.
Wonderfully, so a song that weeps and bleeds country it was written by a lad from south London.
It is something of a mystery to me why this isn't a standard, as it's so absolutely perfect but I wonder if it would have the resonance to me that it does, if a new version trickled out the radio every few years. As it is I come back to it every six months or so, listen to it on repeat for an hour or two and feel melancholy in the best, most enjoyable way.

No comments: