Thursday 17 September 2009

The Drums - Let's Go Surfing



I was very prepared to hate this song. From a glance at the video, New York based Florida four piece, The Drums have the look of the worst sort of hipster. And the revelation their main influence was hyper obscure Glasgow indie miserablists the Wake, is the kind of thing designed to set my teeth of edge. I always feel like beating up and coming bands who name check barely known musicians until they confess they secretly want to be Hall and Oates. Everyone wants to be Hall and Oates deep down.
Anyway once I got over all that, I discovered, to my delight that this is a little cracker. It's got a great Bass line, that powers the song along. It's got some very catchy whistling, always a winner. And the vocals have a child like sense of wonder shared with some of the early White Stripes songs that Megs sings. All very good things in my book.
This piece also flags up, the influence of legendary producer Martin Gannet, and it is a very well put together song, has a big sound without being in any way overpowering. I would not be surprised if there's big things in the future for them. If you like what you hear, you should read this, as it's an amazingly in depth feature on a band at this stage in their career.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone you said from the very first line. This song is great.