Sunday 20 September 2009

The Main Ingredient - Everybody Plays the Fool



This is a super soul number but because I'm pushed for time I'm gonna hand over to the rather smart comedian Patton Oswalt, who had this to say about it.

"It's got a message for people, and I wish they had more song ideas, because most R&B now is all about, "I am the king and I fucking rule, and you can't fucking step to me." And this is back when they were like, "You know you're going to fuck up, and you're going to get over it, and you're going to move on." It's a very hopeful song. Hell yeah, she doesn't love you. Don't worry, the world's still going, you're not dead. Basically, Al Swearengen says the same thing in season two of Deadwood, where he's consoling the newspaper editor who's had his place vandalized. "You've got more beatings and humiliations in store for you, stand like a man and give some back."

Wise words.

No comments: