Friday 25 September 2009

Meatloaf - Midnight at the Lost and Found



This largely forgotten Meatloaf song as one of the few the Meat, as I affectionately call him, wrote himself. Meatloaf has been quite dismissive about his songwriting skills but I have a real spot spot for this number. As befitting someone who came from theatre, and has such a theatrical persona, this sounds like it belongs in a Broadway show. Meatloaf is not someone you go to for restraint, but his throw everything at the wall and see what sticks approach is adopted so enthusiastically it's hard not to go with it and overlook the bits that don't work.
I have a very clear memory of listening to this song for the first time as a callow youth and finding the A Capella chorus towards the end absolutely thrilling. I then played the song on repeat for about three hours to try and recapture that feeling. I suspect because the rest of the songs is so overblown, that when everything save the voices and handclaps drops out it's very effective. Or maybe I just really felt I was a "Lost soul in the hunting ground." It's one of the amazing, if occasionally frustrating, things about music that it's very difficult to pin down with it affects you the way it does. Our species seems wired to respond to it in a way that is entirely separate from rational thought.
It occurs to me this may well be why the best music is often about things that are also not rational, like Love or God. Now it's may also that these are the just the most interesting things to create any kind of art about, but I think music does mesh particularly well with with non rational themes.

No comments: