Wednesday 12 August 2009

Elastica - Waking Up



My favourite of their songs this. In part because as a callow youth I had this single on Cassette (yes, I'm aware how badly that dates me), and it had some awesome packaging that made it look like a pack of cards. At the time I though this was as cool as could be. Also interesting to recall the somewhat androgynous Justine Frischman was considered something of a sex symbol in the mid nineties. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I suspect that wouldn't fly now. Today's tastes seem to demand a bit more femininity from female pop stars, even alternative ones. Anyway even though this is a pretty blatant rip off of The Stranglers "No More Heroes" it still has a special place in my heart. Frischman does deliver a lyric with an enjoyably sardonic edge. Plus not being the most active of fellows I am bound to have a soft spot for is essential paean to laziness.

Edited to Add; Found a picture of the famous cassette single, still looks pretty nifty. Retails for a tenner now as well, should have held on to it.

No comments: