Monday 17 August 2009

The XX - Crystalised



As I get older, the idea of less is more, seems more and more apposite. This is probably down to seeing too many local bands where the strategy was just to make as much of a racket as possible in the hope something would stick. Nowadays I really appreciate a band with the courage to not do all that much. This is certainly the case on this track by hotly tipped London four piece the XX. There's not a hell of a lot going on in this track, but there's absolutely nothing extraneous, every piece fits nicely into place. I actually find it weirdly soothing, there's more than a hint of lullaby about it. I always like a band who have a unified look but are a wee bit plain. Good looking people have it far too easy in music, I like to see some average looking folk storming the castle.

No comments: