Friday 7 August 2009

Kate Bush - James And The Cold Gun



An great album track from Ms. Bush's debut, "The Kick Inside". In the context of that record the oddest thing about it is how "not unusual" it is, being a fairly straight forward seventies rocker. Not impossible to imagine it being a cut off "Madman Across the Water", if you swapped her and Reg's vocals. Listening to it on it's own it's easier to appreciate the lovely sinewy rhythm and I'm very fond of the instrumental fade out at the end. Lyrically it's something to do with a gangster running away from his past, though as always with Kate Bush, it's hard to say exactly what the lyrics are about while at the same time suspecting she's hinting at something profound. Apparently it was inspired by a minor character in Frederick Forsyth's thriller "Day of the Jackal", which adds to it's appeal to me, as that's a great little thriller.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not heard this Kate Bush song before. I like it. When I was listening to it I felt energised. I didn't really listen to the lyrics apart from her going 'Ooooh Jaaaaames' which made me think of James Bond. I don't think I'm the first person to have thought that. Did Kate Bush ever do a James Bond song? That would have been good.

Ian said...

No Bush for Bond theme. Which seems like it would be a great idea but the more I thought about it the more my mind rebelled against it. Obviously Kate Bush and James Bond are both fantastical creatures but I'm not sure they can exist in the same world. In my mind Kate Bush is an ethereal creature life an elf, and there's no room for such things in Ian Flemming's thrusting universe. Though I'm sure someone has written fan fiction about such a thing already.
In any case I think what I really want is for Shirley Bassey to do all Bond Themes. Stick with what works!